Atlantia A&S Criteria
This category includes Glassblown pieces, Lampwork, and Beadwork.
information also available as PDF.
DOCUMENTATION (0-30 points. SCORE 0-10 then MULTIPLY BY 3):
Must have at least “EZ Doc” information. More is acceptable, although one or two pages (not counting visuals and bibliography) should be more than enough. If your documentation is more than three pages for exceptionally detailed and in-depth work, you should provide an executive summary. The best documentation will cover what they did in period, what the creator did in the project, and why the difference (if any). It will explain any conscious compromises made, and provide footnotes, illustrations, and references, as well as any original research or experimentation as it applies to the project. Give score based on the following considerations:
- A minimum of: what it is, where is it from, when is it from, and references;
- Materials used in the project;
- Techniques and tools used during the process;
- Research (country, period of origin, typical characteristics, etc.), visual references (books, portraits, etc.) from reliable sources;
- Artistic design with rationale for design elements, techniques and materials used and appropriateness to item’s purpose and to period.
AUTHENTICITY (0-20 points) [SCORE 0-10 and then DOUBLE THE SCORE]:
- 0: Clearly modern;
- 1-2: Modern (dichroic glass, modern shape) but with some period elements;
- 3-4: Generally period, with some obviously modern elements present (Ex. copper foil, dichroic glass);
- 5-6: Work is appropriate to stated time and place;
- 7-8: Style (shape, size) and decorations (stringers, millifiori, feathering, etc. ) seem entirely period;
- 9-10: Period materials and procedures used whenever possible.
COMPLEXITY (1-10 points):
Rank the ambition of the entry, not the workmanship, considering the following:
- 1: Small, basic shapes and forms with no ornamentation (small beads, shot glasses);
- 2: Small, non-basic shapes and forms with no ornamentation OR small, basic shapes with simple ornamentation (stringers, dots) or medium-sized pieces with no ornamentation;
- 3-4: Small, basic shapes and forms with complex ornamentation (millifiori, feathering)
- 5-6: Medium forms with simple ornamentation or large, unornamented forms;
- 7-8: Mediums forms with complex ornamentation or large forms with some ornamentation;
- 9-10: Large forms with complex ornamentation.
WORKMANSHIP (3-30 points. SCORE 1-10 then MULTIPLY BY 3):
Rank the quality of execution and success of the entry on a scale 1-10, considering the following:
- Form and function. Ability of entry to serve intended function;
- Control of form. Number and size of bubbles? Sharp edges?;
- Attention to details, neatness and finishing touches;
- Use of ornamentation;
- Choice of materials/design combinations and appropriate application of design(s);
- Effective use of materials, tools, and designs;
- Durability of the item (able to survive wear/usage);
- Mastery of period style and practice;
- Level of personalization or special embellishment.
OVERALL IMPRESSION (1-10 points):
Evaluate the work as a whole, rating the complete effect and appeal beyond the mere technical proficiency. Consider how you react to the entry (intuitive response) and other items not previously addressed.